The latest Nordic satellite, SIRIUS 3, was launched on 5 October 1998 from Kourou in French Guiana.
It is a high-power satellite for the Nordic region. The signal power is approximately the same as for SIRIUS 2. SIRIUS 3 has 15 active transponders and broadcasts TV signals in digital format and new digital services based upon IP technology. Hughes Space & Communications in El Segundo, California, built the satellite.
SIRIUS 3 Facts
- Orbital position: 5.0° East
- Type: HS 376, spin stabilized
- Launched: 5 October 1998
- Mass in orbit: 806 kg BOL on-station
- Dimensions: Body 2.2 x 7.8 m
- Operational lifetime: 12 years
- Transponders: 15 BSS
- Frequency band: 11.7-12.5 GHz
- Transponder bandwidth: 33 MHz
- Polarization: Linear (horizontal and vertical)